Ruben Loftus-Cheek will remain positive after a back injury cruely cut short his second appearance for the England national team, during the goalless draw with Brazil at Wembley on Tuesday.
Loftus-Cheek, who is currently on loan with Crystal Palace from Chelsea, put in an eye-catching performance on his debut for the national side against Germany last week.
The 21-year-old was then rewarded for that positive display by being given the chance to start for England when they faced Brazil.
However, the midfielder was only able to complete 35 minutes of the game with the South Americans, when a lower back problem flared up.
After the match, Southgate said he expected the issue to “settle down fairly quickly” and praised the contribution of Loftus-Cheek, whom he coached in the under-21s, as “absolutely outstanding”.
In a post on his personal Twitter account after the game, Loftus-Cheek wrote: “Disappointing to have my night cut short after being on the pitch with some amazing players. Will stay positive after a good week.”
An update on whether Loftus-Cheek will be available for Palace’s upcoming Premier League match is expected when Roy Hodgson holds a press conference on Thursday afternoon.
The Eagles currently sit bottom of the table, and have picked up just one point since recording their first and only league win of the season, when they defeated Chelsea on October 14.
England international back Alex Lozowski has signed a contract extension with the current Aviva Premiership leaders, Saracens.
The deal will keep Lozowski at the reigning European champions until 2020.
Lozowski, 24, has been a crucial player for the Saracens since he joined them from the Wasps last year, offering options not only at fly-half, but centre too.
His form has seen him rewarded with two England caps, whilst on the Argentina tour four months ago.
“We are delighted that Alex has agreed a new deal,” Saracens rugby director Mark McCall said.
“Alex will have an important role to play for us as he continues to develop as a player, so naturally we are very happy to announce that he will be staying at Allianz Park until at least 2020.
“In his brief time at the club, Alex has already shown how good a player he is, but the most exciting thing for us is how much improvement we believe there is to come from him alongside our core of young, hungry, home-grown players.”
Lozowski is not the only player to sign new terms with Saracens in the recent weeks, as he follows Owen Farrell, Jamie George and Nick Isiekwe to sign on the dotted line.
“I have really benefited from being in the environment and from being around good players and good coaches,” Lozowski said.
“I think being surrounded by the calibre of guys that we’ve got here is only going to bring your game up. I am really grateful to be part of this team.”
The Police have made an arrest in connection to the coin throwing incident, in which West Bromich Albion midfielder Chris Brunt was struck by the object after his side lost 3-1 at Reading on Saturday.
Brunt’s side were beaten comfortably by Reading, with the result sending the Royals into the FA Cup Quarter finals against the odds. The Northern Ireland international was heading towards the travelling faithful to hand a supporter his shirt when he was hit in the face, leaving a visible mark immediately.
Shocking scenes yesterday as Chris Brunt was hit by a coin from his own fans. Disgusting 😡 #WBA
Throwing a coin at a player is shocking enough, but the fact the coin was thrown the traveling Albion fans makes the case 10x worse. Brunt has made over 300 appearances for the club and is one of the longest serving players. He told the press of his “disgust” at the coin thrower, and was “ashamed” by the whole thing.
Thankfully, Thames Valley Police said the man was arrested on Tuesday, also announcing that the arrest was part of a joint operation held with the Hampshire Police department. The club have also announced that they will impose the “severest of actions” on the guilty party.
A case of ‘monkey see monkey do’, Chelsea fans were also guilty of coin throwing this weekend, as they pelted Manchester City player David Faupala and his teammates on Sunday as they celebrated their equaliser at Stamford Bridge.
Chelsea’s statement following this incident stated they would impose lifetime bans for the offenders.
Guus Hiddink is all set to become the interim manager at Chelsea following Jose Mourinho’s dismissal on Wednesday evening.
The former-Netherlands coach was in London on Friday to hold talks with the hierarchy at the Blues, as the two parties look to iron out a deal.
Saturday’s visit to Sunderland will be a game too soon for Hiddink, with the Chelsea players looking to bounce back from Monday nights 2-1 loss to unlikely Premier League leaders Leicester City.
Hiddink, who has hosted a host of clubs, had managed Chelsea before as the interim coach back in 2009. He won the FA Cup with the club that year.
Mourinho endured jubilation at the end of last season as he led his Blues to the Premier League title, but his joy was short-lived, as seven months later he is now without a job having led Chelsea to one of their worst first halves of the season in recent times.
Chelsea sit in 16th place, one point above the relegation zone going into Saturday’s game.
Rumours of the dressing room being against Mourinho may have been quashed by club captain John Terry, who described Wednesday as a sad day for Chelsea on his personal Instagram.
“Going to miss you boss,
“The very best I have ever worked with, unbelievable memories together. Thank you doesn’t seem enough.”
Terry was not alone in thanking his former boss, as Cesar Azpilicueta also claimed it to be a sad day.
“I would publicly like to thank Jose Mourinho for his contribution to this club and for everything he has taught me over the years.
“He will always be remembered. Thank you mister.”
Hiddink’s challenge for the remainder of the season will be to try and lead his team up the table and into the European places – whether that be the Europa League or Champions League, at a push.
Hello there, and welcome to my new Sports news orientated site. My aim is to provide readers with as up-to-date coverage as we possibly can, whilst trying to balance this between a University degree and part-time job.
The creator and owner of Sportingwayoflife.com is a 22-year-old aspiring sports journalist who currently studies at the University of Huddersfield. Big Scunthorpe United fan, and currently help the club out in their media department on match days – which is a fantastic experience.
I also run two other sites http://www.anyoldironblog.com/ & http://gunghofootball.com/ – which have both received great support from readers.
The aim of the Sportingwayoflife is to provide news updates from a variety of sports. For the start it will Football, Golf, Horse Racing, Tennis and Rugby – but expect more categories to emerge in the near future.
I guess all that is left to say is thank you for visiting the site, please share it with your family and friends – and see you around hopefully.