Burnley goalkeeper Tom Heaton ‘out for months’

Burnley manager Sean Dyche revealed on Thursday that Tom Heaton is expected to be missing “for months”, after suffering a shoulder injury.

The 31-year-old – who has been capped by England three times – suffered the injury after landing awkwardly during the first half of his side’s victory over Crystal Palace at the weekend, and went under the knife on Wednesday.

After the 1-0 defeat of Palace Dyche had mentioned how he suspected Heaton would be missing for a lengthy period, and when asked whether this was the confirmed case at a press conference on Thursday, he said: “Yes, It won’t be weeks, it will be a longer period.”

Burnley face Liverpool at Anfield on Saturday at 3pm, as they look to continue their good start to the Premier League season, after securing seven points from the opening four matches.

Advertisements

Juan Martin del Potro secures victory after fight back

Juan Martin del Potro pulled off one of tennis’ most memorabke comebacks to reach the quarter-finals of the US Open on Monday.

The champion from 2009 had been struggling with illness, and looked set to crash out without a fight after winning only three games in the opening two sets against Dominic Thiem.

There were doubts as to whether Del Potro would be fit enough to complete the match, but he remarkably did more than just finish what he started.

The Argentinian secured the third set with ease, and then saved two match points with aces in the foruth, before clinching the win in the fifth to leave the score at 1-6 2-6 6-1 7-6 (7/1) 6-4.

Speaking after the win, Del Potro said: “Oh my God. I don’t know what can I say after this big battle. I was sick the last two days. I came here trying to play as well as I can.

“When I saw all of this crowd cheering for me, my illness cleared up. I was trying to feel better every game. I fight like this because of you guys.”

Atletico Madrid manager Simeone signs new deal

Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone has signed a two-year contract extension with the LaLiga club, it has been announced.

The 47-year-old first took control of the Spanish outfit in December 2011, and will now remain with Atleti until the end of June 2020.

A statement on the club’s website read: “Our manager signed the new contract that ties him to Atletico Madrid for two more seasons, until June 30th, 2020.

“The much-awaited news by the Atletico fans is thus confirmed, something that Enrique Cerezo, Miguel Angel Gil and Simeone himself have always hinted at in their public statements.”

Simeone – who also played for the club as a midfielder – led Atleti to Europa League success during his first season with the team.

He would then win the European Super Cup and Copa del Rey the following season.

Atleti secured their 10th league title in 2013/14 with Simeone in charge, and they also reached the final of the Champions League that term, before being beaten to close rivals Real Madrid.

Last season saw Simeone win more silverware with the club, guiding them to another Copa del Rey triumph – and the team currently sit fourth in the league so far this campaign, but remain unbeaten ahead of a trip to Valencia on Saturday.

Rory McIlroy drops to sixth in world rankings

Four-time major winner Rory McIlroy will begin the BMW Championship next week with his lowest world ranking in over three years.

McIlroy missed the cut in the Dell Technologies Championship and has slipped from fourth to sixth in the latest standings behind winner Justin Thomas and Spain’s Jon Rahm.

Not since July 2014 has the former world number one been as low as sixth, when he was ranked eighth after the Scottish Open, before going on to win the Open Championship at Hoylake a week later.

An injury-plagued season has meant that McIlroy has only played in 15 events so far, but has plans for three more events before a several month sabatical to give his lingering rib injury a chance to full recover.

McIlroy defeated Ryan Moore and Kevin Chappell in a play-off at East Lake 12 months ago to win the overall FedEx Cup title, and a welcome $10million bonus.

The 28-year-old is keen to avoid just his second full winless season since turning professional, and is due to contest the Alfred Dunhill Links Championship with his father Gerry from October 5-8 before calling time on a frustrating campaign.